Sunday, May 8, 2011

Our First Mother's Day Together As A Family...

Today, UncleR and I both woke up to Mother's Day cards from J.  (It doesn't matter that we both made sure that he got one for each of us...*grin*)

It's our first Mother's Day together. 

I'm so glad that we have J.  He really is a great kid.  We're lucky.  Today, it's easy to reflect on him, the young gentleman he's grown to be, and what a journey it's been to get him here. 

It's also a day for me to reflect on my first Mother's Day with a partner, a co-parent...a co-conspirator? 

We agree on almost everything in regards to our parenting styles.  I'm not sure how folks do it who don't.  But above and beyond that, it's simply nice to have a partner to rely on in this whole mom thing.  When it's hard, I have someone to turn to.  When I don't know what to do, I have someone to ask.  When I'm at my wits end, I can say that out loud, and someone will listen.

After 14 years of single parenting, it's an amazing change. 

So, today is a day to be thankful and reflect.  I'm thankful for my son, who brings joy to my life like no other.  And I'm thankful to my wonderful partner, who has chosen to join me in being a mom to one great kiddo.  I love them both. 

Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies out there, and to all you folks who may not be called "mom" (heck, maybe you're called Uncle), but you still fill the role. 

No comments:

Post a Comment